About
Blog
Articles
Ventures
Ventures
pics
links
Contact
home


Friday, March 10, 2006

How to sit on your Xbox headset and get away with it

I sat on the ol' Xbox headset and it broke like crappy china. Worse, it broke in such a way that left me somewhat disappointed. Angry. Depressed.

But I transcend these things like a deity and devised a cunning plan to get it back on track. It's now working better than ever.

What you need
- Three cable ties (smallest possible)
- 2mm drill bit
- Drill. You can use a metal skewer/nail and heat it up on your gas cooker/cigarette lighter. Just don't burn yourself as it makes you look dumb.

Stage 1- drill holes
Drilling two small holes in the body of the headset. The holes are non symmetrical because I was uncertain which would work best. The asymmetric design actually helps to hold the headset in place- stops it from wiggling

fig 1- the holes. The gunk around the holes is glue from crappy packing tape.

Step 2 - Cable ties
Poke the ties through the holes and secure them around the headset and the head holding part tighten them right up- and then rotate the ends away from your head lest it poke you and scratches you and prevents you from concentrating on killing people.

Fig 2- The two ties in place- third one is explained below. Note how you rotate the ties away from your head.

Step 3- The "securing tie"
This is where you really bring home the bacon. This third tie does not go through the holes- but off to the side and between the original ties and the headset. This stops the ties from slipping off to the side- something they will most certainly do without this winning maneuver.








posted by thr at 10:08 am

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow I never thought of using cable ties, mine broke about a year ago and I just put a steel screw through it to hold it together. haha, luckily it doesnt bore into my skull =)

3/13/2006 3:29 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have broken my head set as well a few months back. To fix it I just used crazy glue. So i just glued the 2 parts of the head set that came off the body back on. This method is very discret and is hard to notice and there is nothing in your way. Also crazy glue can be purchased at any dollor store for cheap. But you idea looks to be sucsess full.

3/13/2006 3:42 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey the plug is a "standard" headset plug, you can use any phone headset available at best buy or wherever. As long as the little module that plugs into your controller is still working you can still find a cheaper fix than buying a new communicator. This is good to know if your GF's stupid cat likes to chew up electrical cords.

3/13/2006 4:57 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, is there a reason you just did not want to use epoxy?

3/13/2006 5:03 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too broke my headset, duct taped it together, and it fit very well.

But after that, i sat on it again, braking it where the Mic and the Earpiece connect, using even more duct tape. Luckly for X-mas my sister baught me a plantronics headset, whihc i have yet to sit on.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/TooFortyEssEcks/XBLheadset.jpg

^picture of the headset, its a bit dark tho.

3/13/2006 5:27 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow im suprised someone also has this problem and took the time to post this on the net. Godd job on fixing this, my headset is also broken but ive been cheap. What I use it knida dumb since we dont have any super glue or cable ties. I use tape which only work for a while. Anyways good job.

3/13/2006 5:27 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now we need a tutorial on how to get the wires to reconnect after a dumb cat chewed through the wires. I'm glad Im not the only one with a dumb cat.

3/13/2006 6:03 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you're too lazy to do this, do what my friend did. Just wear a headband while playing. >_>

3/13/2006 6:25 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Innovative, now if only I could figure out how to fix a headset speaker that crapped out.

3/13/2006 6:40 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I broke my original xbox headset and fixed it with a screw, broke my 360 headset and fixed it with superglue, I am a pro.

3/13/2006 6:55 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha Ha, that's funny. I did the same thing about years and half ago. But never thought of making a tut. It just seemed like, natural.
-Catalist

3/13/2006 7:26 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also used krazy glue but it seemed to keep breaking now i have layers of glue between the plastic...That God I have A Xbox 360

3/13/2006 7:54 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, i had this problem as well, i went to the stove and heated up a paperclip (until it was red) and then i forced it through the plastic and once it was through i repeatedly bent it through with a pliers. it is a little jiggly but it stands up to this day.

3/13/2006 8:28 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've fixed 2 so far, the best way to do it may require some stuff that you possibly won't have...

Wrap a very, very thin piece of wire around where it broke to hold it together. Not much, it just needs to hold it in place. Then drown it in hot glue. It will never break again.

3/13/2006 12:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah my friend used a steel bolt on his and i went and bought a button mic one when my wiring broke, so now i can wear headphones from my TV and i can still speak into the communicator

3/13/2006 2:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

USE EPOXY!!!!

It works like a charm, bonds as strong as plastic and you won't risk scratching your eye out with a scraggly end of a zip tie.

When my headset broke I tried Krazy Glue - no luck. Thought about doing something with zip-ties, then finally remembered epoxy. I used this stuff called SuperEpoxy. Since the repair I've dropped this thing, bent it - it will not re-break. Try it. Here's a link to the stuff, but you can probably find anything like it at any Home Depot.

http://www.right-tool.com/pcsuperepoxy.html

3/13/2006 6:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paperclip, all the way. It's twisted in lots of different directions in order to keep the headset from moving around. Plus, it has two poky ends that will stab anyone who tries to knock off your head.

3/14/2006 1:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
  footer